Local high school is Phillips High School, home of the Bears. The first, wooden frame school building across the highway from the present location of Phillips School, held grades 1-9. This building caught fire around Christmas of 1925. Local churches provided temporary space for the teachers and pupils. Mrs. J. R. Phillips graciously donated land for a new school on April 16, 1926. Her husband, who died in April 1925, wanted the addition of a high school. The community pulled together with its volunteer labor and donated timber from virgin pines in Bear Creek. Members of the community sacrificed time and money in their participation with the construction of the new Phillips School. Logging was done by wagon and hauled to Veal's sawmill. Brick came by rail and was transported by wagon to the site. McKinley Campbell, assisted by his brother, was the contractor for the new facility.
The first graduation was held at Phillips High School in 1929. Agricultural and home economics (aka Family and Consumer Sciences) departments were added in 1935 and housed near the present location of the cafeteria. The football field was located behind the main building, which was later replaced in 1969.
On Saturday, September 2, 2003, the Phillips football field (James E. Glass Stadium) was named after Coach James E. Glass in honor of the dedication he has given to the football team and school throughout the years. The football field was the first football field in the state of Alabama to be lighted. This occurred in the fall of ‘33. The original lights brightened the football field until the 2010 season, when a grant for new lights was awarded to both the football and baseball facilities of the school.