As of the 2010 census the population had more than tripled to 11,620, making it the fastest-growing city in Alabama. It is within the Birmingham-Hoover, Alabama Metropolitan Statistical Area and positively affected by the growth in its economy.
The city of Calera was incorporated in 1887, and named after the Spanish word for "limestone" for all of the limestone deposits located in the area.
The Calera Presbyterian Church was built in 1885. The church building is now owned by the city. It was added to theAlabama Register of Landmarks and Heritageon March 12, 1997.
The Cowart Drug Store was built in 1885. It was added to the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage on February 15, 1977.