The Cuba post office existed prior to 1850, with nothing in the present-day area of the town of Cuba, but wilderness. The first man to live in this site was a Mr. R.A. Clay, who moved from Autauga County, AL, with his family and about 100 slaves in 1852, and purchased all the land which later made up the town of Cuba. By 1861, the town was a thriving farming industry and had a sizeable truck-crop enterprise. Also during this time, the Southern Railroad was being built. Clay donated land for the railroad right-of-way, built mainly with slave labor. As the town was settled, the post office became known as Cuba Station. The Town of Cuba was incorporated in 1890 with Dr. A.L. Vaughan as its first Mayor.
In 1870, Mr. Clay sold to Mr. Warner Lewis half of the town and divided it into lots, with two set aside for the building of the Baptist and Methodist churches. Cuba Baptist Church was organized in 1879 and the original building still stands on the spot where it was first built. The Methodist Church was organized about 1884. This church membership dissolved many years ago. The Holiness Church was organized about 1886, the Presbyterian Church about 1906, and the Independent Holiness Church about 1925.
Mrs. Curtis Vaughan was the first person to be buried in Cuba, in 1888. Mr. R.A. Clay, the morning after her death, donated the land for the Cuba Cemetery, which later became Clay Memorial Cemetery in his honor.