Delmar is a small, rural, unincorporated community in west-central Winston County, United States. Delmar is located six miles north of Natural Bridgefive miles south of Haleyville and 15 miles west of Double Springs, thecounty seat of what was once the "Free State of Winston." Delmar has anelevation of 881 feet above sea level.
Delmar was originally called "Frog Level." Presumably, the community was called Frog Level because of the swampy land that existed around the area at the time. In the 19th century, the citizens of Frog Level asked the U. S. Postal Service to open a post office in their community, since the nearest post office was in Ark (where Needmore, Alabama is currently located). Their request was denied because there was another Frog Level, Alabama (now Fayette, Alabama) and it already had a post office. In order to get a post office, the citizens of the Frog Level in Winston County had to change their town's name. Around 1887, the town began to be known as "Delmar."
The exact origins of the name "Delmar" are unknown. A popular belief holds that a construction engineer with the railroad had a retired race horse by the name of "Delmar" or "Del Mar" (Spanish for "from the sea"). The horse was well known and loved by the community. When work on the railroad was completed around 1887, the community was renamed after the race horse.
Another popular belief is that Delmar was named for a different reason. When you spell Delmar backwards, you get the name, "Ramled." Many believe that this was named for all of the wild rams that were found in the Delmar woods in the late 19th century. Either way, no one is exactly sure how the name was formed.
After notifying the U. S. Postal Service of its name change, Delmar's first post office was opened on September 1, 1887. Newton L. Powell was the firstPostmaster of Delmar. The current post office building was erected in 1971, during the service of Postmaster Mrs. Martha Roberts Stewart.
Today, the name of the town of Delmar is pronounced "Delmer."