Angelus Oaks is an unincorporated community in San Bernardino County, California, United States, and has an estimated population of 535. It is surrounded by the San Bernardino National Forest and located northeast of Redlands on California State Route 38.
Angelus Oaks was initially called Camp Angelus. In 1849 there was a big gold strike in Holcomb Valley near the town of Big Bear. The only way to get supplies in and the gold out was by mule trains. The mule train traveled up the Santa Ana River stopping overnight in Seven Oaks and then took the old switch back trail (still visible on the mountain across from the Angelus Oaks Lodge) up to the gold fields. Eventually, a wagon road was built to replace the mule skinner trail.
In the late 1870's, cattle rustlers, operating out of San Bernardino, would bring their stolen herds up to Angelus Oaks to hide them. Due to the configuration of the opening of the mountain down by the Ranger Station, the opening to the canyon was not visible to posses passing by searching for the stolen herds.
Beginning in the late 1800's and early 1900's, the stagecoach, using the old wagon road, would bring passengers and mail up the old wagon road through Angelus Oaks, on to Seven Oaks and then up the back side of the mountain to Big Bear. The now Angelus Oaks Lodge was first built as a stagecoach stop for changing horses at the top of the climb and for serving up sandwiches to passengers. It also served as a small grocery store for the local community. The original wagon road is the small road that now runs along the front of the Lodge and crosses over to the current chain up turn-out. At the close end of the chain up area is a dirt road that goes down to the original trail by the river that leads to Seven Oaks. It is still passable and gets you to some great fishing spots.