Awendaw was named by the Sewee tribe. It is also home to an oyster shell mound created by the Sewee tribe. It is the northernmost shell ring in a group that stretches south to the tip of Florida. Most of the mound is still intact. The rest of it was destroyed to construct roads and homes for the citizens of Awendaw. Awendaw was settled in 1696 as "Wappetaw" by settlers from Salem, Massachusetts, who had left after the Salem Witch Trials. The town was heavily damaged by Hurricane Hugo in September 1989, but did not receive as significant damage in 2004 when Hurricane Gaston made landfall in the region. In 1992, the town of Awendaw was first incorporated and elected Willam H. Alston as the first Mayor. Alston served as Mayor until 2009.
The Sewee Mound was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1970.
Awendaw is located in northeastern Charleston County, along U.S. Route 17 at (32.986445, -79.643451). US 17 leads southwest 28 miles (45 km) to Charleston and northeast 32 miles (51 km) to Georgetown.
According to the United States Census Bureau, Awendaw has a total area of 9.7 square miles (25.1 km2), of which 9.5 square miles (24.5 km2) is land and 0.2 square miles (0.5 km2), or 2.13%, is water.
The town is run by an elected Mayor-council government system.
Mayor Miriam C. Green