|Barnwell, South Carolina|
Location of Barnwell, South Carolina
Barnwell is located east of the center of Barnwell County at Salkehatchie River, runs through the city just west of the downtown, and includes a small impoundment known as Lake Brown in the north part of the city.(33.244534, -81.363214). Turkey Creek, a tributary of the
U.S. Route 278 passes through the city, leading south 17 miles (27 km) to Allendale and northwest 42 miles (68 km) to Augusta, Georgia. State highways 3, 70, 64 also pass through the city; SC 64 leads west 6 miles (10 km) to the east entrance of the Savannah River Site, which is a nuclear reservation.
According to the United States Census Bureau, Barnwell has a total area of 8.0 square miles (20.7 km2), of which 7.8 square miles (20.3 km2) is land and 0.15 square miles (0.4 km2), or 1.86%, is water.
In 1785 the district of Winton County was formed out of Orangeburg District in order to create another judicial circuit. It was given its current name in 1798 when the county and its seat were named for Revolutionary War leader John Barnwell (1748–1800), who headed a militia in South Carolina. Barnwell County originally stretched from the Savannah River on the west almost to the Atlantic Ocean.
Built in 1832, the South Carolina Railroad connected Charleston to Hamburg, near Augusta, Georgia, on the Savannah River. The railroad, which went through the middle of the county, was the first steam railroad in the world. Two stops on the railroad created the towns of Blackville and Williston in the mid-nineteenth century.