Bonham is a city in Fannin County, Texas, United States. The population was 10,127 at the 2010 census. It is the county seat of Fannin County.James Bonham (the city's namesake) sought the aid of James Fannin (the county's namesake) at the Battle of the Alamo.
Fannin County Courthouse, Bonham, Texas. Built in 1889
Location of Bonham, Texas
Bonham, one of the oldest cities in Texas, dates back to 1837 when Bailey Inglish built a two-story block house named Fort Inglish. It was located about 2 miles (3 km) from the current downtown. Inglish and other acquaintances settled there in the summer of 1837 and the settlement was named Bois D'Arc. In 1843, the Congress of the Republic of Texas assigned the name Bloomington to the city, but finally renamed it Bonham, in honor of James Butler Bonham, a hero and defender of the Alamo. On February 2, 1848, Bonham was incorporated as a city.
After the connection to the Texas and Pacific Railway the city began to grow, and in 1885 there were six churches, three colleges, two public schools, three weekly newspapers, a saw mill, two grain mills, a power plant, and about 2300 inhabitants. 1890 saw the addition of streetcars, an ice plant, and the opening of the Texas Power and Light Company, the utility provider to the area. In 1925, the city was connected to natural gas lines.
During the Second World War, there was a training camp and an aviation school for the United States Army Air Forces in the vicinity of Bonham, as well as a prisoner-of-war camp for captured German soldiers. Parts of the camp, located approximately 0.5 miles north of US HWY 82, can still be visited today.
The City of Bonham is served by the Bonham Independent School District. In addition, Grayson County College operates a branch campus in Bonham, its only campus outside its namesake county.