Abandoned cotton gin in Bula
The community of Bula was established in 1924 and originally given the name Newsome. Due to a conflict with another Texas post office with the same name, the name was changed to Bula in 1925. Bula had a school in 1925 and a cotton gin in 1929 but never grew significantly. By 1980 the population had risen to only 105 then dropped to thirty-five in 2000.