Bushland is an unincorporated community in southwestern Potter County, Texas, United States. According to the Handbook of Texas, the community had an estimated population of 130 in 2000. The community is part of the Amarillo, Texas Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Established as a station on the Chicago, Rock Island and Gulf Railway, Bushland was named for William Henry Bush, a Chicago native. In 1898, land owner Joseph Glidden transferred the Frying Pan Ranch to Mr. Bush, who was his son-in-law. The total cost was $68,000.Thereafter, Bush donated land for a town site and a railroad right-of-way. On July 3, 1908, the town was formally dedicated by Bush and his associate S.H. Smiser.
Farmers soon settled in and around Bushland. A public school district was established, followed by the opening of a post office in January 1909.The community's population remained small, hovering near 20 during the 1910s and 1920s. By 1940, that figure had risen to 175 with four businesses operating in the community. Throughout the latter half of the twentieth century and into the twenty-first, Bushland's population has remained steady at around 130.
Public education in the community of Bushland is provided by the Bushland Independent School District. The district operates three campuses – Bushland Elementary School (grades PK-4), Bushland Middle School (grades 5-8), andBushland High School (grades 9-12). In 2011, Bushland residents voted in favor of a bond issue to build additions to the High School, build a cafeteria for the Middle School and purchase new buses for the district.
According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Bushland has a semi-arid climate, abbreviated "BSk" on climate maps.