The city was named after ranch owner Elias Anderson who granted the Oregon and California Railroad trackage rights and land for a station.
Railroad activity came to the area in 1872. Anderson is named after Elias Anderson, who owned the largest land grant in the vicinity. The town's Anderson River Park sits on part of the original land grant owned by Anderson.
There is one public middle school, Anderson Middle School, and 5 elementary schools. Shasta Christian Academy is a private school which educates Kindergarten through 12th grade students.
The city is home to Anderson River Park, North Volonte Park, and South Volonte Park. Anderson River Park is located off of Stingy Ln. down Rupert Rd. The park is situated on the Sacramento River. It provides an array of accessible and diverse recreational opportunities. The park consists of athletic fields, picnic areas, fishing access, play structures, and a disc golf course. The amphitheater in the park houses the Mosquito Serenade, a free concert series, every year during the months of July and August.
North Volonte Park is located off South St. on Emily Rd. North Volonte Park is separated from South Volonte Park. North Volonte Park is a developed park which consists of softball and baseball fields. It also, has a permanent skate park that provides skating opportunities for local residents.
South Volonte Park is located behind North Volonte Park. South Volonte Park is wetlands that are outlined by jogging trail that also contains exercise equipment.