Clarksburg (formerly, Clarksburgh) is an unincorporated community in Yolo County, California. It is located on the Sacramento River, in the extreme southeastern corner of the county. It lies at an elevation of 10 feet (3 m) in ZIP code 95612 and area code 916.
Clarksburg has been settled in stages dating back as early as the 1850s when Merritt Island was first cleared and developed for agricultural uses. Postal authorities first established a post office in 1876, under the name "Clarksburgh" and changed the name to "Clarksburg" in 1893. The town was named after Robert C. Clark who settled at the place in 1849. In the 1920s the New Holland Land Company began subdividing the tracts in the area and formally established Clarksburg as an unincorporated community. Clarksburg is unique among small California towns in that many of the families who initially settled the area are still present, thus lending a small-town and almost East Coast charm to the community.
The community is mostly centered on the two churches in town, the Holland Market, the volunteer fire department, and the three schools. The 1930s era Old Sugar Mill (which closed in 1988) is now the center of development with 125 new homes proposed for construction on the property. This will be the first significant development since the Old Sugar Mill was built in the 1930s. The project is currently stayed by the Delta Protection Commission until it is made compliant with their Resource and Management Plan. Appeals were made to this State of California commission by the Natural Resources Defense Council and the Concerned Citizens of Clarksburg. As of February 2008 the Old Sugar Mill development was involved in significant litigation. A portion of the original Old Sugar Mill is now home to a modern wine tasting and production facility.
The population in 2008 is approximately 300. This is an approximation as the community borders are undefined and opinions on what outlying areas are actually part of Clarksburg vary from one source to the next. The portion of Sacramento County directly across the Sacramento River was once considered part of the community due to the ferry crossing that existed at Clarksburg from 1920 until the Freeport Bridge opened on New Year's Day in 1930. The ferry itself sank in November, 1928. Some of the older members of the community still refer to that adjoining area of Sacramento County as Clarksburg for that reason.
Architect William Raymond Yelland would spend summers in Clarksburg with family. W.R. Yelland designed several buildings in the town of Clarksburg including several homes, The Clarksburg Community Church and the Sugar Mill. W.R. Yelland is most noted for his Arts and crafts and Storybook Houses of the 1920s and 1930s.
What few industries that exist in the area are mostly involved in supporting the agricultural concerns of the area. Agriculture in the area principally includes wine grapes, dichondra grass seed, and tomatoes. Alfalfa is also found to occur but it is not the principal crop as it was prior to the 1920s.
The Paul Reese Memorial run occurs every November as it as since 1965 and includes a marathon, a 20 mile race, a half-marathon, a 5k fun run, and children's events.
The Friends of the Clarksburg Library sponsor The Wines of Clarksburg fundraiser every year to support the local library. The event is typically hosted at the New Holland Land Company's former site and the event is a good excuse to view this example of historic, California Delta architecture.