McFarland (formerly, Hunt and Lone Pine) is a city in Kern County, California, United States. McFarland is located 6.5 miles (10 km) south of Delano, at an elevation of 354 feet (108 m). The population was 9,618 at the 2000 census. The estimated population in July 2006 was 12,093.
- Hispanic (85.7%)
- Other race (61.2%)
- White Non-Hispanic (10.2%)
- Two or more races (4.7%)
- Black (3.2%)
- American Indian (1.9%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.1 square miles (5.4 km2), all of it land.
The first post office opened in 1908. McFarland incorporated in 1957. The name honors J.B. McFarland, founder.
As of the census of 2000, there were 9,618 people, 1,990 households, and 1,789 families residing in the city. The population density was 4,671.8 people per square mile (1,802.7/km²). There were 2,031 housing units at an average density of 986.5/sq mi (380.7/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 28.49% White, 3.19% Black or African American, 1.63% Native American, 0.69% Asian, 0.08% Pacific Islander, 61.23% from other races, and 4.69% from two or more races. 85.66% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 1,990 households out of which 61.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 64.4% were married couples living together, 17.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 10.1% were non-families. 7.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 4.30 and the average family size was 4.45.
In the city the population was spread out with 35.1% under the age of 18, 14.1% from 18 to 24, 33.1% from 25 to 44, 12.8% from 45 to 64, and 4.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 25 years. For every 100 females there were 132.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 151.5 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $12,821, and the median income for a family was $14,190. Males had a median income of $19,881 versus $9,109 for females. The per capita income for the city was $9,524. About 34.1% of families and 35.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 41.1% of those under age 18 and 12.1% of those age 65 or over.
- Jackson Branch Kern County Library
- McFarland City Hall
- Church of the Living Savior
AM radio stations
- KERI (1180 AM; 50 kW; WASCO-GREENACRES, CA; Owner: KWSO, INC.)
- KCHJ (1010 AM; 5 kW; DELANO, CA; Owner: ILLINOIS LOTUS CORP.)
- KNZR (1560 AM; 25 kW; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: BUCKLEY BROADCASTING CORP. OF CALIF.)
- KMJ (580 AM; 50 kW; FRESNO, CA; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- KWRU (940 AM; 50 kW; FRESNO, CA)
- KUZZ (550 AM; 5 kW; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: OWENS ONE COMPANY)
- KGET (970 AM; 5 kW; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: CLEVELAND RADIO LICENSES, LLC)
- KGDP (660 AM; 50 kW; ORCUTT, CA; Owner: RADIO REPRESENTATIVES, INC.)
- KAFY (1100 AM; 4 kW; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: KAFY, INC.)
- KIRN (670 AM; 35 kW; SIMI VALLEY, CA; Owner: LOTUS OXNARD CORP.)
- KSPN (710 AM; 50 kW; LOS ANGELES, CA; Owner: KABC-AM RADIO, INC.)
- KLAC (570 AM; 50 kW; LOS ANGELES, CA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- KMAP (1050 AM; 10 kW; FRAZIER PARK, CA; Owner: KMAP, INC.)
FM radio stations
- K266AH (101.1 FM; BENA, CA; Owner: CALVARY CHAPEL OF TWIN FALLS, INC.)
- KTQX (90.1 FM; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: RADIO BILINGUE, INC.)
- KZPO (103.3 FM; LINDSAY, CA; Owner: LINDSAY BROADCASTING)
- KMQA (100.5 FM; EAST PORTERVILLE, CA; Owner: MOON BROADCASTING PORTERVILLE L.L.C.)
- KKBB (99.3 FM; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: BUCKLEY COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KDUV (88.9 FM; VISALIA, CA; Owner: COMMUNITY EDUCATIONAL B/CASTNG, INC.)
- KDFO-FM (98.5 FM; DELANO, CA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- KKDJ (105.3 FM; DELANO, CA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- K293AG (106.5 FM; TAFT, CA; Owner: CENTRO CRISTIANO DE FE, INC.)
- KJUG-FM (106.7 FM; TULARE, CA; Owner: WESTCOAST BROADCASTING, INC.)
- K220EY (91.9 FM; PORTERVILLE, CA; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
- KIWI (102.9 FM; MCFARLAND, CA; Owner: ILLINOIS LOTUS CORP.)
- KUFW (90.5 FM; WOODLAKE, CA; Owner: NATIONAL FARM WORKERS SERVICE CENTER)
- KMYX-FM (92.5 FM; ARVIN, CA; Owner: FARMWORKER EDUC. RADIO NETWORK, INC.)
- KGZO (90.9 FM; SHAFTER, CA; Owner: THE ASSOCIATION FOR COMMUNITY EDUCATION, INC.)
- KFRB (91.3 FM; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
- KUZZ-FM (107.9 FM; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: OWENS ONE COMPANY, INC)
- KISV (94.1 FM; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: AMERICAN GENERAL MEDIA CORP.)
- KGFM (101.5 FM; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: LAGNIAPPE BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KSMJ (97.7 FM; SHAFTER, CA; Owner: BUCKLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION OF CALIFORNIA)
TV broadcast stations
- KTRO-LP (Channel 50; LANCASTER, CA; Owner: ROBERT D. ADELMAN)
- KPMC-LP (Channel 42; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: GARY M. COCOLA FAMILY TRUST)