Mount Hermon, known as "Tuxedo Junction" prior to 1906, was a stop on the South Coast Pacific Railroad from Alameda to Santa Cruz. Hotel Tuxedo was on the property; the hotel was purchased and renamed to the Zayante Inn on April 14, 1906, by a group which later became the Mount Hermon Association, Inc. The land was to be used as a Christian retreat center, whose dedication day, known as "The Great Day", was July 22, 1906 held at the Zayante Inn with 1400 people in attendance. Speaking at the dedication was Dr. Reuben A. Torrey, President of Moody Bible Institute in Chicago, Illinois.
The Zayante Inn and surrounding cottages were destroyed by fire on April 18, 1921. At the site, a Christian retreat center with three separate facilities operates on much of the original property, as well as several hundred privately owned homes, the Mount Hermon post office and a bookstore.
Mount Hermon today is the site of three separate facilities as well as a residential area. The three separate facilities are: Ponderosa Lodge, the main Conference Center, and Redwood Camp. All three facilities are equipped to handle any age group of up to 500 people. Ponderosa Lodge mainly hosts students of junior high and high schools from around the state, including Scotts Valley High School, San Lorenzo Valley High School, and many others. Ponderosa Lodge is also the primary location for the Mount Hermon Outdoor Science School, and hosts many Men's and Women's conferences throughout the year as well.
The Conference Center can house the most people because it has a housing system separate from Ponderosa Lodge and Redwood Camp. It usually hosts adult or family groups for week-long gatherings, but is also open to multiple small groups wishing to do activities independently. Redwood camp usually hosts kids between the ages of 5 and 16, but has been known to host the occasional adult group.
Each facility has at least one ropes course/climbing wall. Ponderosa Lodge has one climbing tower about 50 ft (15 m). high, and one ropes course with around 5 elements. The Conference Center has two climbing walls and two ropes courses. The Canyon Course and the Ridge Course are the two ropes courses. The Ridge Course has 4 elements including one ~60 ft. Leap of Faith, and the Canyon Course has separate elements, all chained together so that one element must be accomplished in order to reach the next. There are two climbing walls, one indoors in the newly-built Field House with a height of about 45 ft (14 m). and 5 different routes up. The other ropes course is less than 300 ft (91 m). away from the Field House and has 3 routes. Redwood Camp has two different Ropes courses without any climbing walls. One is located in the middle of the Redwood Rec Field and has two ropes elements. The other is across Zayante Creek and has 6 elements including a 30 ft (9.1 m). Leap of Faith and a large Flying Squirrel suspended over Zayante Creek.