Wasco (formerly, Dewey and Deweyville) is a city in Kern County, California, United States. Wasco is located 24 miles (39 km) northwest of Bakersfield, at an elevation of 328 feet (100 m). The population was 21,263 at the 2000 census.
- Hispanic (66.7%)
- Other race (50.5%)
- White Non-Hispanic (21.6%)
- Black (10.3%)
- Two or more races (2.8%)
- American Indian (1.4%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
People in group quarters
- 7,975 people in state prison
- 1,226 people in other types of correctional institutions
- 10 people in homes for the mentally retarded
- 8 people in other noninstitutional group quarters
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 7.6 square miles (19.7 km²), all of it land. Wasco is located on the floor of the San Joaquin Valley, at the intersection of California State Routes 43, which runs north-south, and 46, which runs east-west.
As of the census of 2000, there were 21,263 people, 3,971 households, and 3,403 families residing in the city. The population density was 2,795.7 people per square mile (1,078.8/km²). There were 4,256 housing units at an average density of 559.6/sq mi (215.9/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 34.64% White, 10.27% Black or African American, 1.02% Native American, 0.67% Asian, 0.15% Pacific Islander, 50.46% from other races, and 2.78% from two or more races. 66.72% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 3,971 households out of which 55.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 62.3% were married couples living together, 16.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 14.3% were non-families. 11.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.79 and the average family size was 4.07.
In the city the population was spread out with 27.4% under the age of 18, 13.9% from 18 to 24, 39.4% from 25 to 44, 13.8% from 45 to 64, and 5.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 29 years. For every 100 females there were 183.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 230.6 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $28,997, and the median income for a family was $30,506. Males had a median income of $48,105 versus $18,697 for females. The per capita income for the city was $14,228. About 24.3% of families and 27.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 35.3% of those under age 18 and 10.1% of those age 65 or over.
The name Dewey was in honor of Admiral George Dewey, a hero of the Spanish-American War.The Deweyville post office opened in 1899, and changed its name to Wasco in 1900.
The origin of the name Wasco is subject of two different theories: (1) That it was coined from Western American Sugar Company; and (2) that a resident from Wasco County, Oregon named it for that.
Wasco is the site of the Fourth Home Extension Colony, founded in 1907 by the American Home Extension Association.
One of Wasco's major economic centers is its agriculture, specifically in the growing of roses. 55% of all roses grown in the United States are grown in or around Wasco.
The Kern County Sheriff's and Fire Departments now provides law enforcement and fire protection services to the City of Wasco. The Wasco State Prison is located approximately 1-mile (1.6 km) west of the city limits.
- Wasco State Prison
- Wasco Sewage Disposal
- Wasco Womans Club
- Wasco City Hall
- Wasco Branch Kern County Library
- Central Missionary Baptist Church
- Family Christian Church
- Griffith Avenue Baptist Church (SBC)
- First Church of Christ Scientist
- First Congregational Church
| || |
- Truelight Missionary Baptist Church
- United Methodist Church of Wasco
- Wasco Christian Church
- Wasco Church of the Nazarene
- Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses
Wasco in Media
The classic film "North by Northwest" Directed by Alfred Hitchcock, and starring Cary Grant. Includes the famous airplane scene where Cary Grant's character is running away from an airplane coming toward him was filmed in the fields of Wasco.
- KERN (1180 AM; 50 kW; WASCO-GREENACRES, CA; Owner: AGM, INC.)
- KCHJ (1010 AM; 5 kW; DELANO, CA; Owner: ILLINOIS LOTUS CORP.)
- KNZR (1560 AM; 25 kW; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: BUCKLEY BROADCASTING CORP. OF CALIF.)
- KMJ (580 AM; 50 kW; FRESNO, CA; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- KWRU (940 AM; 50 kW; FRESNO, CA)
- KGDP (660 AM; 50 kW; ORCUTT, CA; Owner: RADIO REPRESENTATIVES, INC.)
- KUZZ (550 AM; 5 kW; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: OWENS ONE COMPANY)
- KGET (970 AM; 5 kW; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: CLEVELAND RADIO LICENSES, LLC)
- KIRN (670 AM; 35 kW; SIMI VALLEY, CA; Owner: LOTUS OXNARD CORP.)
- KSPN (710 AM; 50 kW; LOS ANGELES, CA; Owner: KABC-AM RADIO, INC.)
- KAFY (1100 AM; 4 kW; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: KAFY, INC.)
- KLAC (570 AM; 50 kW; LOS ANGELES, CA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- KMAP (1050 AM; 10 kW; FRAZIER PARK, CA; Owner: KMAP, INC.)
- KIWI (102.9 FM; MCFARLAND, CA; Owner: ILLINOIS LOTUS CORP.)
- K266AH (101.1 FM; BENA, CA; Owner: CALVARY CHAPEL OF TWIN FALLS, INC.)
- KTQX (90.1 FM; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: RADIO BILINGUE, INC.)
- KGZO (90.9 FM; SHAFTER, CA; Owner: THE ASSOCIATION FOR COMMUNITY EDUCATION, INC.)
- K293AG (106.5 FM; TAFT, CA; Owner: CENTRO CRISTIANO DE FE, INC.)
- KZPO (103.3 FM; LINDSAY, CA; Owner: LINDSAY BROADCASTING)
- KSMJ (97.7 FM; SHAFTER, CA; Owner: BUCKLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION OF CALIFORNIA)
- KKBB (99.3 FM; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: BUCKLEY COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KMQA (100.5 FM; EAST PORTERVILLE, CA; Owner: MOON BROADCASTING PORTERVILLE L.L.C.)
- KMYX-FM (92.5 FM; ARVIN, CA; Owner: FARMWORKER EDUC. RADIO NETWORK, INC.)
- KDUV (88.9 FM; VISALIA, CA; Owner: COMMUNITY EDUCATIONAL B/CASTNG, INC.)
- KJUG-FM (106.7 FM; TULARE, CA; Owner: WESTCOAST BROADCASTING, INC.)
- K220EY (91.9 FM; PORTERVILLE, CA; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
- KUFW (90.5 FM; WOODLAKE, CA; Owner: NATIONAL FARM WORKERS SERVICE CENTER)
- KDFO-FM (98.5 FM; DELANO, CA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- KKDJ (105.3 FM; DELANO, CA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- KRFR (104.3 FM; SHAFTER, CA; Owner: AMERICAN GENERAL MEDIA OF TEXAS, INC)
- KAXL (88.3 FM; GREENACRES, CA; Owner: SKYRIDE UNLIMITED, INCORPORATED)
- KFRB (91.3 FM; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
- KUZZ-FM (107.9 FM; BAKERSFIELD, CA; Owner: OWENS ONE COMPANY, INC)