Location in Franklin County and the state of Georgia
Carnesville was founded in 1805 as the seat of Franklin County. It was incorporated as a town in 1819 and as a city in 1901. The town is named after Judge Thomas P. Carnes, a lawyer and Congressman of the Revolutionary War era.
In the 1850 census, Carnesville had a free population of 9,131, and a slave population of 2,382
The Franklin County School District holds grades pre-school to grade twelve, that consists of four elementary schools, a middle school and a high school. The district has 232 full-time teachers and over 2,732 students