Cochran is a city in Bleckley County, Georgia, United States. As of the2010 census, the city had a population of 5,150.,The city is the county seat of Bleckley County.
Cochran is named for Judge Arthur E. Cochran and was incorporated on March 19, 1869. Judge Cochran was largely instrumental in developing this section of Georgia through his work as president of the Macon & Brunswick Railroad, now the Southern Railway. Once known as Dykesboro, Cochran was settled by B. B. Dykes, who owned the site on which the town is built. The earliest settlers located here to work in the turpentine industry.
Cochran is home to Bleckley County High School and Middle Georgia State College. Three properties in Cochran are listed on the National Register of Historic Places: the Bleckley County Courthouse in Courthouse Square, theCochran Municipal Building and School at the junction of Dykes and Second streets, and Hillcrest at 706 Beech Street.
Location in Bleckley County and the state of Georgia
Cochran, originally known as Dykesboro, was settled in the 1850s by B. B. Dykes. It was renamed Cochran in 1869 after Arthur Cochran, a railroad official who brought the Macon and Brunswick Railroad to town. In 1912, Cochran was designated seat of the newly formed Bleckley County.
Cochran is located at (32.386646, -83.350684).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 4.7 square miles (12.3 km2), of which 4.6 square miles (11.9 km2) is land and 0.15 square miles (0.4 km2), or 3.63%, is water.