Location of Coyanosa, Texas
Coyanosa is a census-designated place (CDP) in Pecos County, Texas,United States. The population was 138 at the 2000 census.
Coyanosa was originally settled as a ranching community in the early 1900s. A post office was established in 1908, but was discontinued ten years later. Further development of the community resumed in the 1950s as numerous water wells were drilled in the area to irrigate nearby cotton farms. By 1958, approximately 200 people lived in Coyanosa. The post office reopened and by the early 1960s, the population had risen to 600. Increasing fuel prices in the mid-1970s made irrigation unprofitable and forced many area cotton farms out of business. A decline in the number of inhabitants soon followed. By 1990, Coyanosa had around 270 people. That figure had fallen to 138 by 2000.
Coyanosa is served by the Fort Stockton Independent School District.
Coyanosa is also on the site of an oil field, having wells going to a depth of up to two miles.