Dagsboro is a town in Sussex County, Delaware, United States. The population was 805 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Salisbury, Maryland-Delaware Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Location in Sussex County and the state of Delaware.
Dagsboro, incorporated in the early 1900s, is a quiet town that is energized in summer by Delaware Route 26 beach traffic. The town, in the Indian River School District, was founded in 1747 and has been known as Blackfoot Town, Dagsbury and Dagsborough It was named for John Dagworthy, a brigadier general of the Sussex County Militia during the American Revolutionary War
Dagsboro is located at (38.548308, -75.246366).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 2.3 square miles (6.0 km2), all of it land.
Built in 1755 and named for Prince George (later King George III), Prince Georges Chapel is one of the oldest churches in the United States as well as one of the oldest buildings in Dagsboro. It became part of the the Church of England's Worcester Parish on June 30, 1757 when the area was still part of Maryland. General Dagworthy, who died in 1829, is buried in the chapel's cemetery. Major renovations came in 1967 with the property's purchase by the State of Delaware. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.
Clayton Theatre opened in Dagsboro on February 2, 1949 with One Touch of Venus, a film featuring Ava Gardner, on its single screen. The theater was named for John M. Clayton, a former United States senator and Secretary of State. In the 1950s, a soda fountain operated as Clayton Cut Rate Luncheonette in a storefront adjoining the theater. Although the Clayton now uses digital projection equipment, it continues doing business as Delaware's last single-screen theater.