Deltona is the most populous city in Volusia County, Florida, with a population of 85,182 as of the2010 United States Census. It is located approximately halfway between Orlando and Daytona Beach, lying on the northern shore of Lake Monroe along the St. Johns River. The city is a part of the Deltona–Daytona Beach–Ormond Beach, FL metropolitan statistical area, which was home to 590,289 people in 2010.
The city was founded in 1962 as a planned residential community, and was originally named Deltona Lakes. It was master-planned and developed by the General Development Corporationand the Mackle Brothers. The rapid development of housing units since its opening in 1962 led to a major population boom, growing from a subdivision of less than 5,000 people to becoming the largest municipality in Volusia County by the end of the 20th century. This rapid development has resulted into an almost entirely residential cityscape. As a result, the city primarily serves as a commuter town for the nearby cities of Orlando and Daytona Beach, as well as its surrounding
|City of Deltona|
Deltona City Hall in March 2015
|Nickname(s): Florida's Bright Spot|
|Motto: "I'm Proud to Be a Part of It!"|
Location in Volusia County and the state of Florida
The area of what currently comprises of Deltona and surrounding communities was originally inhabited by nomadic Timucuans, who found fish and fresh water plentiful in the area. After Florida became a state in 1845, steamboats began to make regular trips up the St. Johns River to Lake Monroe.A man named George Sauls, a former secret agent for the Confederacy during the American Civil War, along with his wife Adeline and six children, were the first settlers in the area currently known as Deltona in 1859.The area, named Saulsville, was located approximately three miles (5 km) north of the community of Osteen. Sauls' homestead would eventually catch on fire in 1972. It would eventually be designated as a historical site by the Volusia County Historical Commission, and the street, originally named Barranca, was renamed George Sauls Street in 1977. It was decommissioned as a historical site in 2000, and its site marker has since been relocated to the nearby Osteen Cemetery, with maintenance overseen by the Volusia County Preservation Board.
What now constitutes the city was established in 1962 as Deltona Lakes, and was developed by the Miami-based Mackle Company as a planned residential community through the purchase of 17,203 acres of land (including the original site of Saulsville), a community of 35,143 lots. Thesubdivision, directly north of Enterprise, also included out-parcels for drainage retention, apartments, churches, parks, commercial centers, an industrial area, a community center, and a golf course. Deltona Lakes was officially classified as a census-designated place at the 1970 census, which by that time, had an estimated population of 4,868, and a median age of 62.
In 1974, Deltona Lakes was approved as a planned unit development by the Volusia County Council. A housing boom occurred in the 1980s, and by 1990, the average age of Deltona Lakes was 35, and had a population of 51,000. The residents of Deltona Lakes voted in September 1995 to incorporate it as a city, after two previous failed attempts to do so in 1987 and 1990,adopting a city charter on September 9, 1995, and also elected a seven-member city commission. Deltona Lakes would become incorporated as the City of Deltona on December 31, 1995.