Elberton is the largest city in Elbert County, Georgia, United States. The population was 4,743 at the 2000 census. The city is the county seat of Elbert County, and serves as a hub for industry and small business in Northeast Georgia.
A home along Elberton's Heard Street.
|Nickname(s): Granite Capital of the World|
Location in Elbert County and the state of Georgia
Settled in the 1780s, Elbert was designated seat of the newly formed Elbert County in 1790. It was incorporated as a town in 1803 and as a city in 1896. Like Elbert County, Elberton is named forSamuel Elbert.
Elberton is known as the "Granite Capital of the World.
Elberton is located at (34.109628, -82.865669).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 4.0 square miles (10 km2), of which, 3.96 square miles (10.3 km2) of it is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2) of it (0.50%) is water.
Elbert Memorial Hospital, located at the corner of Laurel and Chestnut streets, has provided medical care to the Elberton region since 1950. Then-Governor Herman Talmadge presided over the dedication of the facility, calling it "one of the nation's finest." The hospital is accredited by theJoint Commission.
Today, Elbert Memorial is a 52-bed acute care general hospital with emergency, surgical, and rehabilitation facilities, as well as a wellness center, cafeteria, and gift shop. The hospital is currently researching potential expansion opportunities, either through an extensive reworking of the current facility or by moving to a new location.
Other nearby hospitals include Cobb Memorial Hospital in Royston, Athens Regional Medical Center and St. Mary's Hospital in Athens and Anderson Area Medical Center (AnMed) in Anderson, South Carolina.