Euharlee is a city in Bartow County, Georgia, United States. The population was 4,136 at the 2010 census, an increase of 29% over the 2000 count of 3,208.
Euharlee is a bedroom community of Cartersville, the Bartow County seat which is located 9 miles (14 km) to the east. They are connected through Euharlee Road, and by a chain of subdivisions and homes. Euharlee is located next to Plant Bowen, which has the second largest generating capacity of any coal-fired power plant in the United States.
|Nickname(s): "The Covered Bridge City"|
Location in Bartow County and the state of Georgia
An Act was passed by the General Assembly of Georgia to incorporate Euharlee as a town on September 16, 1870. The town reported a population of 144 in 1900.
Euharlee is located in southwestern Bartow County at Etowah River, part of the Alabama River watershed, flows through the eastern part of the city. Euharlee Creek joins the river just south of the center of town and is crossed by theEuharlee Covered Bridge, one of the oldest covered bridges in Georgia. (34.147174, -84.936445). The
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 5.4 square miles (14.1 km2), of which 5.3 square miles (13.7 km2) is land and 0.15 square miles (0.4 km2), or 2.83%, is water.
The name "Euharlee" is derived from a Native American word meaning "she laughs as she runs".
The current population, exceeding 4,100 residents, represents a substantial increase from the 1,600 residents estimated in 1995. Population growth in Euharlee is, to a great degree, attributable to the growth of the neighboring community of Cartersville.
There is an annual Fall Festival held with the Covered Bridge as the focal point. It is held in October. Local schools are invited to showcase choral and band ensembles throughout the weekend. Crafts and foods are sold by local vendors. There are rides for the children as well.
The festival was increased and relocated from Osborne Park with the completion of a pavilion located behind the Covered Bridge Library and Covered Bridge Museum in 2005.