Falfurrias is a city in and the county seat of Brooks County, Texas, United States. The population was 4,981 at the 2010 census. The town is named for founder Edward Cunningham Lasater's ranch, La Mota de Falfurrias. In 1893, the Falfurrias ranch was one of the largest in Texas at some 350,000 acres (1,400 km2).
|Motto: "The Land of Heart's Delight"|
Location of Falfurrias, Texas
Falfurrias' founding and development were largely due to the efforts ofEdward Cunningham Lasater, a pioneer Rio Grande Valley rancher and developer. In 1895, he started a cattle ranch in what was then northernStarr County. At one point, it was one of the largest ranches in Texas. With the extension of the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway south fromAlice to his ranch in 1904, Lasater founded the town of Falfurrias and subdivided a sizable portion of his ranch land for sale to other farmers. In 1898, a post office opened in the community. A local newspaper began publication in 1906. Lasater brought in his Jersey cows and established acreamery in 1909. Sweet cream butter and other products from Edward Lasater's creamery company made the town a familiar name across the state. But that butter is no longer made from milk produced in Falfurrias.Don Pedro Jaramillo, a Mexican-born curandero known as "The Healer of Los Olmos", was buried in Falfurrias in 1907 and is venerated at a shrine there.
The state granted a petition by local residents to form a new county, Brooks, with Falfurrias as its county seat in 1911. Irrigation methods introduced to the area in the 1920s brought in truck farming and the citrus fruit industry. The city became a primary trade and shipping center for the surrounding region. The area received another economic boost in the 1930s and 1940s when extensive oil and gas reserves were discovered around Falfurrias.
The city had a population of 6,712 in 1950, which declined throughout the latter half of the twentieth century. There were 5,297 people living in Falfurrias in 2000 and 4,981 in 2010.
Falfurrias is served by the Brooks County Independent School District. Schools are: