Newberry is a city located on the southwest side of Alachua County, Florida, United States. The population was 4,950 at the 2010 census. Much of the city borders the neighboring Gilchrist County to the west. The current mayor is Bill Conrad.
Newberry City Hall
Location in Alachua County and the state of Florida
Newberry developed as a mining town after phosphate was discovered in the western part of Alachua County in 1889; and, the town was located along the route of the Savannah, Florida, and Western Railway, that in 1893 was extended southward from High Springs. A post office established in March 1894 was named Newton, but changed to Newberry in August of that year. In 1896 there were fourteen mines operating nearby, and the town had hotels, boarding houses and saloons to accommodate the area's transient and sometimes unruly population. The demand for phosphate ended abruptly in 1914 when war was declared against Germany, the principal customer for Newberry's phosphate. The community turned to agriculture and was particularly successful at producing watermelons. The Watermelon Festival, first held in 1946, continues to be an annual event. In 1987 Newberry's Historic District was officially listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Newberry is located at .
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 54.6 square miles (141.3 km2). 53.5 square miles (138.6 km2) of it is land and 1.0 square mile (2.7 km2) of it (1.93%) is water.
Newberry is served by the School Board of Alachua County, which operates an elementary school, a middle school and Newberry High School in the city, and the Alachua County Library District, which operates a branch library in the city.