Flower Mound is an incorporated town in Denton County in theU.S. state of Texas and a suburb of the Dallas–Fort Worth metroplex. Located northwest of Dallas and northeast of Fort Worth adjacent toGrapevine Lake, the town derives its name from a prominent 12.5-acre (5.1 ha) mound located in the southern portion of the town.
After settlers used the site for religious camps during the 1840s, the area around Flower Mound was first permanently inhabited in the 1850s; however, residents did not incorporate until 1961. Although an effort to create a planned community failed in the early 1970s, Flower Mound's population increased substantially when Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport opened to the south in 1974. As of the 2010 United States Census, the population was 64,699, reflecting a 28 percent increase over the 50,702 counted in the 2000 Census.
Flower Mound's municipal government, operating under a council–managersystem, has invested in a public park system highlighted by an extensive network of trails. The town's public schools comprise part of the Lewisville Independent School District. With its moderately affluent population and proximity to the metroplex, Flower Mound has used a smart growth system for urban planning, and has recently experienced more rapid light industrialgrowth to match the growing needs of the primarily residential community.
Settlement in the area around Flower Mound began when Presbyterians established a camp in the area in the 1840s. At first, the group held religious camps for two to three weeks at a time. By 1854, residents had established the Flower Mound Presbyterian Church southwest of Lewisvillein an area commonly referred to as "Long Prairie".By 1920, the church had 126 members, and the pine-framed building was expanded in 1937.Early settlers such as Andrew Morriss and David Kirkpatrick are memorialized with street names in the town. The area remained sparsely populated for many decades after its initial settlement.
On February 25, 1961, the town voted to incorporate to avoid annexation by the City of Irving. William Wilkerson, who became the town's second mayor, led the incorporation effort and helped improve the town's phone service and water supply. In 1970, when Flower Mound had 1,685 residents, Edward S. Marcus and Raymond Nasher began a planned community project with $18 million in loan guarantees from the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development through their New Community program. Called "Flower Mound New Town", the project included elements of the new towns movement, including collaboration with North Texas State University (now the University of North Texas) to move the school's administrative offices to Flower Mound and conduct all research for the project. The project was featured in advertisements as late as 1974, but it was abandoned after residents threatened to disannex a portion of the town to thwart the development. The disannexation effort sharply divided the town, and led to a number of strongly contested elections between 1971 and 1976. In 1976, Texas Monthly awarded the project its "Bum Steer Award" after the project lost its federal loan guarantees.
The construction of Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport 4 miles (6.4 km) south of the town in 1974 sparked a period of rapid growth. Between 1980 and 1990, Flower Mound's population increased from 4,402 to 15,896. It reached 50,702 in 2000, an average annual increase of nearly 13 percent per year during the 1990s, making it the nation's tenth fastest-growing community. Between 2000 and 2002, Flower Mound was the ninth fastest-growing municipality in the United States with a population of more than 50,000, and its population continued to increase by approximately five percent each year between 2000 and 2005. Controlled growth continues in central and western Flower Mound.
The Town of Flower Mound operates 54 public parks and recreation facilities on 693 acres (280 ha) of space, nine of which (comprising 70 acres [28 ha]) are undeveloped as of 2012.In June 2008, the town held the grand opening for its new $13.825 million community activity center, which includes meeting rooms, a day care facility, weight lifting equipment, an outdoor pool, and a 30-by-30-yard (25 m × 22.86 m) competition indoor pool. In honor of Lance Corporal Jacob Lugo, the first military serviceman from Flower Mound to die in the line of duty, the town renamed Hilltop Park to Jake's Hilltop Park in 2008.
Due to the town's proximity to DFW Airport and major highways, a number of businesses have recently moved some local operations to the town, including Best Buy and Stryker Communications. Lewisville Independent School District is the largest employer in the town, employing 1,647 (4.8% of the town's total employment). The Town of Flower Mound employs 455. Between 2000 and 2009, the city experienced job growth of 26.53%.
The town recognizes two major areas of current economic development: the Lakeside Business District and the Denton Creek District. The 265-acre (107 ha) Lakeside Business District includes land zoned for various commercial and residential uses at the southern edge of town near Grapevine Lake. The project filed for bankruptcy in 2010, but in February 2012, Realty Capital unveiled a $1 billion plan for a mixed-use development project in the district. The town council voted to approve the project in November 2012, and development of the 150-acre (61 ha) project is scheduled in six phases.Construction on the first phase, which includes 45,000 square feet (4,200 m2) of commercial space, 170 loft apartments, and 170 home lots, began in April 2013. In 2006, the town began to consider mixed-use development plans for the 1,500-acre (610 ha) Denton Creek District at the western edge of the town.In 2010, the town began to provide infrastructural support to the area. Additionally, developers broke ground on a 158-acre (64 ha) mixed-use riverwalk project in August 2013. Residents are scheduled to vote on whether to approve public funding for the district for the 2013 general election.