Welcome to Floydada
Floydada is a city in and the county seat of Floyd County, Texas, United States. This rural community lies on the high plains of the Llano Estacadoin West Texas and is sometimes referred to as the Pumpkin Capital of Texas. The population was 3,676 at the 2000 census.
According to the Texas State Historical Association, the community of Floydada originally was named Floyd City. It was established in 1890 on 640 acres (260 ha) of land donated by James B. and Caroline Price ofJefferson City, Missouri. Floydada won the election as county seat over Della Plain. When a post office opened, the name was changed to Floydada. The meaning of the name is disputed. Some claim it was meant to be Floydalia but was garbled in transmission to Washington, while others insist it is a combination of the county's name and that James Price's mother, Ada. A third view is that it was formed from Caroline Price's parents, Floyd and Ada.
Floydada became an important railroad junction in 1928, when the Quanah, Acme and Pacific Railway reached the town.
The region's economy is based on agriculture, but local companies provide services such as custom-built metal assembly irrigation motor development, efficient rock crushing systems, and a product called "The Row Stalker."