Location in Beaver County and state of Oklahoma.
From 1912 to 1973, Forgan was the northern terminus of the defunct Wichita Falls and Northwestern Railway, one of the Frank Kell and Joseph A. Kemp properties which linkedWichita Falls, Texas, with the Oklahoma Panhandle. The name honors James B. Forgan, a Chicago banker and financier. L. B. Tooker established the first newspaper, the Forgan Enterprise, on June 6, 1912. A total of fifty-three businesses and four medical doctors were in the town at that time. Grain elevators were built to store the wheat prior to shipment.
The population dropped to 428 in 1940 after an exodus due to the Dust Bowl. In 1973, Altus in southwestern Oklahoma became the new northern terminus of the successor company, and the northern route from Altus to Forgan was abandoned.
At the turn of the twenty-first century the economy was based on wheat and milo farming, ranching, the oil and gas industry, and corporate hog farms.
Forgan is located at United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.4 square miles (1.0 km2), all land. (36.907505, -100.539253). Forgan lies between the Cimarron and Beaver rivers. According to the