|Fort Cobb, Oklahoma|
Location of Fort Cobb, Oklahoma
Fort Cobb is located west of the center of Caddo County at Washita River. Oklahoma State Highway 9passes through the town, leading east 15 miles (24 km) to Anadarko, the county seat, and west 11 miles (18 km) to Carnegie.(35.099581, -98.438498), in the valley of the
According to the United States Census Bureau, Fort Cobb has a total area of 0.54 square miles (1.4 km2), of which 0.01 square miles (0.02 km2), or 1.57%, is water.
Fort Cobb was established as a US Army frontier post in Indian Territory on October 1, 1859, 1 mile (1.6 km) east of the present location of the town. The fort was named after Secretary of the Treasury Howell Cobb, a friend of the founding officer, Major William Emory. The post was later occupied by both Southern and Northern forces during the Civil War.
Later, General George Armstrong Custer's command was encamped at Fort Cobb from December 18, 1868, to January 6, 1869. Shortly after that, on March 12, 1869, the fort was abandoned in favor of a location 30 miles (48 km) to the south near the Wichita Mountains, and renamed Fort Sill.