|Fort Gaines, Georgia|
Clay County Courthouse in Fort Gaines
|Motto: "A historic past - A promising future"|
Location in Clay County and the state of Georgia
The town of Fort Gaines was founded in 1816. It was named for Gen. E. P. Gaines. A fort of the same name had been built in 1814 nearby on the Chattachoochee River. In 1854, Fort Gaines was designated seat of the newly formed Clay County.
Fort Gaines is located along the western edge of Clay County at Chattahoochee River, which is also the state line with Alabama. Walter F. George Lock and Dam crosses the river between the northern side of Fort Gaines and Alabama, forming Walter F. George Lake, also known as Lake Eufaula.(31.614226, -85.048317). Its western boundary is the
According to the United States Census Bureau, Fort Gaines has a total area of 7.7 square miles (19.9 km2), of which 4.8 square miles (12.4 km2) is land and 2.9 square miles (7.6 km2), or 37.99%, is water.
The Clay County School District holds grades pre-school to grade nine, that consists of one elementary school, one middle school, and one ninth-grade education building. The district has 27 full-time teachers and over 358 students. High school aged students attend 10-12th grade in adjoining Randolph County, Georgia.