|Fort Lawn, South Carolina
Location of Fort Lawn, South Carolina
John A.G. Walker owned a 1,000-acre (400 ha) plantation in Chester County. After Walker died in the 1870s, his widow wanted a town built, which would be named "Walkerville". She offered the Chester and Cheraw Railroad land to build a line through the proposed town, which they did. The Walkers' daughter married a Dr. Fort who had a large home with a lawn next to the railroad. The story is that the railroad's conductor would say, "Everybody off for Fort's Lawn!"
After Southern Power built a dam in 1907, the nearby town of Great Falls saw considerably more growth than Fort Lawn. In 1959, area leaders worked to attract industry, and over the next three years, companies including Springs Industries spent $18 million.