Adel City Hall, 2012
Location in Cook County and the state of Georgia
The original name of the city was Puddleville. The city's first postmaster, Joel "Uncle Jack" Parrish, wanted to change the name of the city. It is believed that he saw the name "Philadelphia" on a crocus sack and struck out the first and last four letters to create the present name of Adel.
The Georgia Southern and Florida Railway arrived into Adel in the 1880s. Adel was incorporated as a town in 1889
Adel is located just south of the center of Cook County at Sparks. U.S. Route 41 passes through the center of town as Hutchinson Avenue, andInterstate 75 passes through the western side of the city, with access from Exit 39. Valdosta is 26 miles (42 km) to the south, and Tifton is 23 miles (37 km) to the north. (31.138466, -83.425944). It is bordered to the north by
According to the United States Census Bureau, Adel has a total area of 8.2 square miles (21.3 km2), of which 8.1 square miles (20.9 km2) is land and 0.19 square miles (0.5 km2), or 2.21%, is water