Chatsworth is a city in Murray County, Georgia, United States. It is part of the Dalton, Georgia Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 3,531 at the 2000 census and 4,299 at the 2010 census. The city is the county seat of Murray County. According to a popular legend, the town received its name after a road sign with the word "Chatsworth" fell off a passing freight train nearby. Someone put the sign on a post, and the name stuck
Just east of Chatsworth is Fort Mountain, and the Fort Mountain State Park.
Location in Murray County and the state of Georgia
Chatsworth was founded in 1905 as a depot on the Louisville and Nashville Railroad. It was incorporated as a town in 1906 and as a city in 1923. In 1915, the seat of Murray County was transferred to Chatsworth from Spring Place
Chatsworth is located at
34°46′20″N 84°46′44″W (34.772336, -84.778977). According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 4.7 square miles (12 km2), of which, 4.7 square miles (12 km2) of it is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2) of it (0.42%) is water.
As of the census of 2010, there were 4,299 people, 1,587 households, and 1,071 families residing in the city. The population density was 749.5 people per square mile (289.5/km²). There were 1,546 housing units at an average density of 328.1 per square mile (126.7/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 86.3% White, 1.5%African American, 0.3% Native American, 0.8% Asian, 0.3% Pacific Islander, 8.6% from other races, and 2.2% from two or more races.Hispanic or Latino of any race were 19.2% of the population.