Location in White County and the state of Georgia
|Coordinates: 34°35′47″N 83°45′50″W|
Cleveland was founded in 1857 as the seat of newly formed White County. Cleveland was incorporated as a town in 1870 and as a city in 1949.The community is named for General Benjamin Cleveland, a War of 1812 figure and grandson of Colonel Benjamin Cleveland, a Revolutionary War figure.
Cleveland is located at (34.596309, -83.763893).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 3.2 square miles (8.3 km2), all of it land.
The town is home to two Jewish summer camps, Camp Barney Medintz (under the auspices of the Marcus Jewish Community Center of Atlanta) and URJ Camp Coleman (under the auspices of the Union for Reform Judaism, which are essentially back-to-back.
Cleveland is known for its Babyland General Hospital where the Cabbage Patch Kids dolls, the conception of native Xavier Roberts, are created. Travelers also travel through the town on their way to other destinations just a few miles away, such as the Bavarian-themed town of Helen, Unicoi State Park, the Smithgall Woods-Dukes Creek Conservation Area, and the Chattahoochee National Forest, including Anna Ruby Falls.