Gibson is a city in Glascock County, Georgia, United States. The population was 694 at the 2000 census. The city is the county seat of Glascock County and home to the Glascock County Courthouse, a National Register of Historic Places listed site.
Gibson got its name from Judge William Gibson, a former Confederate Colonel and commanding officer of the 48th Georgia, who donated 500 dollars for Glascock County’s first public building, the courthouse.
Location in Glascock County and the state of Georgia
Gibson was founded in 1858 as seat of the newly formed Glascock County. It was incorporated as a town in 1913 and as a city in 1943
Gibson is located at (33.232737, -82.595301).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.0 square mile (2.6 km2), of which, 1.0 square mile (2.6 km2) of it is land and 0.96% is water.
The Glascock County School District holds grades pre-school to grade twelve, in a consolidated school under one roof. The district has 42 full-time teachers and over 568 students