|Iron City, Georgia|
Iron City City Hall
Location in Seminole County and the state of Georgia
Iron City is located at
31°0′51″N 84°48′43″W (31.014217, -84.812070).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.8 square miles (2.1 km2), all of it land.
When Iron City was reincorporated in 1908 the corporate limits of the town were to be one-half mile in every direction of the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Depot, according to the Ladies Club. According to the Census Data for Iron City, the town has an area of 0.08 square miles (0.21 km2). On the map, Iron City is located at 31.01333 N Latitude and -84.81306 W Longitude.
The first school in Iron City was held in a log cabin with dirt floors. That was a private school. The first teacher was Linnie Keen Campbell Lane. The second school was classified as a consolidated rural school. The teacher was Bryan Collier who taught grades one through ten. The school had a combination of a library and music room. There was an auditorium added in 1915. The second school was destroyed by a fire on June 15, 1931. A new school was built and ready for students by early fall of 1931. According to Chastine Burke, who moved to Iron City in 1930, and attended the school, Speck Newberry was her teacher. The new school housed only grades one through nine. “In 1963, Iron City School was closed and all students were sent to Donalsonville Elementary,” stated Sara Robison.
One of the first churches in Iron City was the Iron City Baptist Church. The first meetings were held on the south side of town in 1896. The church building was moved to its present location in 1904. In 1971, one half of an acre was donated to the church by John W. Bowen. All of the church property is estimated to be worth $350,000. The Iron City United Methodist Church was built in 1898 and it still stands today as a historical landmark building. That was first organized in 1897 in the office of J.L. Dickenson. The land upon which the church was built at its present location was purchased from the Iron City Board of School Trustees. There are six churches in Iron City. They names of the churches are Iron City Baptist, the Iron City United Methodist, Lighthouse Evangelical Mission, Macedonia Freewill Baptist, Cypress Pond Missionary Baptist, and Wesley Chapel African Methodist Episcopal.