Jesup is a city in Wayne County, Georgia, United States. The population was 10,214 at the 2010 census. The city is the county seat of Wayne County
Location in Wayne County and the state of Georgia
Jesup was founded in 1856 as a depot at the junction of the Macon and Brunswick Railroad and the Atlantic and Gulf Railroad. In 1873, the seat of Wayne County was transferred to Jesup from Waynesville.
Jesup is located at (31.601866, -81.885070).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 16.6 square miles (43 km2), of which, 16.5 square miles (43 km2) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) of it (0.30%) is water.
The Wayne County School District holds grades pre-school to grade twelve, that consists of a pre-K centre, five elementary schools, two middle schools, a high school, and an academy school. The district has 320 full-time teachers and over 5,256 students.
Jesup is home to the Altamaha Technical College as well as one high school, Wayne County High School which is located in the city limits of Jesup, Georgia. This complex replaced the original Wayne County High School on Orange Street, and was completed in 2002. The original facility is still proving its usefulness, housing the Jesup Police, and The Boys and Girls Club of Wayne County, as well as the Alternative School. Also, all sporting events, excluding Basketball and Tennis, including Football, Baseball, Soccer, and Softball are held at the original Wayne County High School complex.