Leesburg is a city in Lee County, Georgia, United States. The population was 2,896 at the 2010 census. The city is the county seat of Lee County and is part of the Albany, Georgia Metropolitan Statistical Area. The area was an important center for the study of malaria in 1924. A graduate student named Lowell T. Coggeshall collected anopheline larvae in a swamp near Leesburg. Later he helped mastermind the U.S. government's Malaria Project.
Leesburg City Hall
Location in Lee County and the state of Georgia
Leesburg, originally known as Wooten Station, was founded in 1870 as the Central of Georgia Railway arrived into the area. In 1872, the town was renamed Wooten and the seat was transferred from Starksville. In 1874, the town was incorporated and renamed again to its present form of Leesburg. Leesburg was the site of a malaria research station. The station was established by the International Health Board in 1924. Seventy - four black children were selected for study with splenic enlargement which was a sign of malaria.
According to the United States Census Bureau, Leesburg has a total area of 4.8 square miles (12 km2) 4.7 square miles (12 km2) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) of it (1.26%) is water
The Lee County School District holds grades pre-school to grade twelve, that consists of four elementary schools, two middle schools, and a high school. The district has 330 full-time teachers and over 5,350 students.