Louisville is a city in Jefferson County, Georgia, United States. It was an early capital of Georgia and is the county seat of Jefferson County. It is located southwest of Augusta on the Ogeechee River, and its population was 2,712 at the 2000 census. Though the name is of French origin, it is pronounced "Lewis-ville."
Louisville was laid out in 1786 as the prospective state capital. Georgia became a state in 1788. Savannah had served as the colonial capital; but it was considered too far from the center of the growing state. Louisville was named for Louis XVI, who was still the King of France and had aided the Continentals during the successfulAmerican Revolution. Development of the city began later, and its state government buildings were completed in 1795. The city of Louisville served as the state capital of Georgia from 1796 to 1806.
The Jefferson County courthouse, built in 1904, stands on the site of Georgia's first permanent capitol building.
Louisville's historic market house still stands in the center of downtown. The original market had sections for everything from farm produce and household goods to slaves. The market square became the hub of the transportation routes that centered on Louisville while the town was the state's capital.
As a small city and county seat, the city now has few major businesses and industries. Queensborough National Bank and Trust Company was founded in 1902 and is currently headquartered in Louisville, on U.S. Highway 1.
A marker dedicated to the Yazoo land scandal is located in front of the county courthouse.
Jefferson County Courthouse
Location in Jefferson County and the state of Georgia
The Jefferson County School District holds grades pre-school to grade twelve, that consists of two elementary schools, two middle schools, a high school, and an academy school. The district has 199 full-time teachers and over 3,526 students.