Martinez /mɑrtənez/ is a census-designated place (CDP) in Columbia County, Georgia, United States. It is a suburb of Augusta and is part of the Augusta, Georgia metropolitan area. The population was 35,795 at the 2010 census
Location in Columbia County and the state of Georgia
Martinez is located in eastern Columbia County at Augusta in Richmond County. To the north and northwest is the CDP of Evans.Interstate 20 forms the short southern boundary of Martinez, with access from Exit 194 (Georgia State Route 383/South Belair Road). (33.516089, -82.100024). It is bordered to the southeast by the city of
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 14.6 square miles (37.9 km2), of which 14.5 square miles (37.6 km2) is land and 0.12 square miles (0.3 km2), or 0.76%, is water.
Martinez has an elevation of 361 feet (110 m) above sea level, about 200 feet (61 m) higher than downtown Augusta. The areas of the CDP closest to the Richmond County line tend to be relatively flat, while land further west is hillier. Trees in Martinez are seen mainly in the subdivisions, as the main roads are crowded with businesses. They include pine, oak, sweet gum, hickory, and a variety of other species.
Although named after a Latino, this town is pronounced Martin-ez, not in the traditional Spanish pronunciation. The founder's name was José Martínez y Saldivar, a wealthy man from Cuba. He bought a plantation in Columbia County which he named El Cordero Ranch ("The Lamb Ranch"). He wanted to be an American soldier. He ended up having four daughters that married very wealthy men, one being Dr. Perrin who died around 1940. El Cordero Ranch is now only 20 acres (8.1 ha) in size. His old home (hacienda) and several buildings, barns, water tower original to the property still stand