Morven is a city in Brooks County, Georgia, United States. It is part of the Valdosta, Georgia Metropolitan Statistical Area. The city was named after a mountain in Scotland. The population was 565 at the 2010 census
Morven City Hall
Location in Brooks County and the state of Georgia
Morven is the oldest community in Brooks County. Around 1750, Spanish missionaries arrived in this area.
The Coffee Road was opened through Morven in about 1823. Sion Hall, one of the first settlers, saw an opportunity to use his sawmill and to farm.
Around 1826, Hamilton Sharpe built a log store nearby and opened a post office in 1828. In the same year a campground was established named Mount Zion. The post office was moved in 1853 and named Morven. The South Georgia Railroad was built through Morven in 1897.
The community was incorporated in 1900.
A second railroad (Valdosta/Morven & Western RR) came through Morven in the 1920s. An $8,000 bond was raised in 1923 to provide a water system. Electric lights came in August 1924 due to efforts of a group of women. The first paved road was built from Quitman in the winter of 1948 to 1949.
Morven is located at (30.944263, -83.500796).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.7 square miles (4.5 km2), of which 0.015 square miles (0.04 km2), or 0.92%, is water.
Morven is located at the junction of State Highways 76 and 94 and is 8 miles (13 km) west of Interstate 75.