Sylvania is a city in Screven County, Georgia, United States. The population was 2,675 at the 2000 census. The city is the county seat ofScreven County
|Nickname(s): "The Welcome Station City"|
|Motto: "The Azalea & Dogwood City"|
Location in Screven County and the state of Georgia
The area was inhabited for thousands of years by various cultures of indigenous peoples. By the time of European encounter, historic tribes included Iroquoian-speaking Cherokee, as well as Siouan-speaking tribes.
The European-American town of Sylvania was founded in 1790 by settlers' migrating to the area after the American Revolutionary War. The town took its name from the Latin term for "place in the woods."
Sylvania was part of the Black Belt of Georgia, developed for cultivation after the cotton gin made it easier to handle short-fiber cotton. Cotton was the most important commodity crop until late in the 19th century. Planters imported many enslaved African Americans to cultivate the crops. By 1830 the county was filled with people. The county seat was moved from Jacksonborough to Sylvania in 1847.
Sherman's army moved through the area during the Civil War.
Sylvania calls itself the "Azalea and Dogwood City" and the "Welcome Station City
Sylvania hosts an Annual Livestock Festival in April, and an Annual Air Exposition in September through October.
The Screven County School District holds grades pre-school to grade twelve, and consists of one elementary school, a middle school and a high school. The district has 186 full-time teachers and over 3,130 students. Whitney Myers is the superintendent