Washington (originally called Heard's Fort) is a city in Wilkes County, Georgia, United States. The population was 4,295 at the 2000 census. The city is the county seat of Wilkes County. The city is often referred to as Washington-Wilkes by locals, distinguishing it from any other Washington in the United States.
Washington has a number of restored antebellum, Victorian, and colonial homes along the narrow, tree-lined streets. It claims to have more antebellum homes per capita than any other city of its size in Georgia. Several sites in Washington are on the National Register of Historic Places, including the Wilkes County Courthouse, the Robert Toombs State Historic Site, and the Mary Willis Library, known for its Victorian architecture and original Tiffany stained glass windows, and for being the first free public library in the state.
Also on the list are The Washington-Wilkes Historical Museum, and the recently restored Fitzpatrick Hotel, built in 1899.
Robert Toombs House State Historic Site
Location in Wilkes County and the state of Georgia
Although no major battles of the Civil War were fought in or near Washington, the city has the distinction of being the location where Jefferson Davis held the last meeting with the Confederate cabinet. On April 3, 1865, with Union troops under Ulysses S. Grant poised to capture Richmond, Jefferson Davis escaped for Danville, Virginia, together with the Confederate cabinet. After leaving Danville, and continuing south, Davis met with his Confederate Cabinet for the last time on May 5, 1865 in Washington, along with a hand-picked escort led by Given Campbell, including his personal Body Guard Sgt. Joseph A Higgenbotham, Jr., of Amherst/Nelson County, Virginia. The meeting took place at the Heard house (the Georgia Branch Bank Building), with fourteen officials present.
The Wilkes County School District holds pre-school to grade twelve, and consists of two elementary schools, a middle school, and a high school. The district has 116 full-time teachers and over 1,858 students.
Dr. Rosemary Caddell is the Superintendent of Schools