The area that is now Grove Hill was originally inhabited by Creek and Choctaw Indians. The county seat of Clarke County was established at what later became Grove Hill in 1832 as the spot was most central to the rest of the county. Known variously as Smithville, then Macon, the name Grove Hill was selected around 1850 for the large grove of oak trees on the plateau. The town was officially incorporated and chartered in 1929. In 1853, a yellow fever epidemic struck the town, killing many residents, almost wiping out the town.
The Grove Hill area has numerous sites on the National Register of Historic Places including the Alston-Cobb House, Bush House, John A. Coate House, Cobb House, Dickinson House, Fort Sinquefield, and theGrove Hill Courthouse Square Historic District.
Public Education is provided by the Clarke County School System. Located in Grove Hill are Clarke County High School (grades 9 through 12), Wilson Hall Middle School (grades 5 through 8), and Grove Hill Elementary School (grades K though 4).
There is one private school in Grove Hill. Clarke Prep School provides education for grades K through 12.