|Nickname(s): "Rodeo Cowboy Capital Of The World"|
|Motto: "A legacy of legends, cowboys & heroes."|
Location of Henryetta, Oklahoma
Hugh Henry established a ranch on Creek Nation land in 1885. He soon found a deposit of coal, which he began using to fuel the forge at his ranch. Discovery of more coal deposits attracted several railroads to develop these mines. A settlement named Furrs grew up around the mines. The name changed to Henryetta when a post office opened on August 28, 1900.
At statehood in 1907, Henryetta had 1,051 residents. The economy was based on agriculture, coal, natural gas and oil. In 1909, the area had fourteen coal mines, producing 65,000 tons per month. By 1910, the population had grown to 1,671. The town added a broom factory, several brick factories and a bottling plant during the 1920s.
Henryetta's manufacturing base continued to expand in the 1940s and 1950s. Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company (now PPG Industries) employed nine hundred people at its plate glass production facility, which claimed to be the largest west of the Mississippi River. This plant closed by 1990. Eagle-Picher Company employed more than seven hundred people at its plant that extracted the rare metal germanium. The plant has since closed and became a Superfund cleanup site.
Henryetta is located at (35.442379, -95.985000)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 6.1 square miles (16 km2), of which, 6.0 square miles (16 km2) of it is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2) of it (0.66%) is water.
Henryetta was referenced as character Stevie Rae's hometown in P. C. Cast's book series, House of Night. Henryetta is mentioned in the King of the Hill episode "Harlottown" as Arlen's new city manager's prior town.
Henryetta's school teams were known for their unusual nickname, the "Mud Hens" (later "Hens" and "Fighting Hens"), until a student petition led to a name change (to "Knights") in 1989.