Towns County Courthouse in Hiawassee
Location in Towns County and the state of Georgia
Settled about 1820, Hiawasee was designated seat of the newly formed Towns County in 1856. It was incorporated as a town in 1870 and as a city in 1916
Hiawassee is located on the Hiwassee River at (34.949428, -83.755078).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 2.2 square miles (5.7 km2), of which, 1.7 square miles (4.4 km2) is land and 0.5 square miles (1.3 km2) (21.86%) is water.
Hiawassee is approximately 2000 feet (609 m) above sea level
The Towns County School District holds grades pre-school to grade twelve, that consists of one elementary school, a middle school and a high school. The district has 144 full-time teachers and over 2,408 students.