|High Springs, Florida|
Location in Alachua County and the state of Florida
High Springs is located at(29.8245, -82.5953).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 22.0 square miles (57.1 km2). 22.0 square miles (56.9 km2) of it is land and 0.077 square miles (0.2 km2) of it (0.36%) is water.
The School Board of Alachua County operates a kindergarten through eighth grade school, the High Springs Community School, in High Springs. Ninth through twelfth grade students attend Santa Fe High School in the adjoining city of Alachua. The Alachua County Library District operates a branch library in the city.
The northwest region of Alachua County was probably first settled on a permanent basis by English-speaking people during the late 1830s. One of the earliest settlements in the vicinity was at Crockett Springs, located about three miles east of present-day High Springs. Settlers who were living there during the 1840s included Fernando Underwood and Marshal Blanton. A discernible town began to develop in the early 1880s after a railroad was constructed and several phosphate mines were established. In 1888 the local post office changed its name from Orion to High Springs, and the town was officially incorporated in 1892.