Entrance to Iowa Park
Iowa Park is a city in Wichita County, Texas, United States. It is part of the Wichita Falls, Texas Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 6,355 at the 2010 census.
The City of Iowa Park is served by the Iowa Park Consolidated Independent School District.
Iowa Park was founded in 1888 alongside the tracks of the Fort Worth and Denver City Railway by D. C. and A. J. Kolp. It soon became a shipping point for cotton and wheat. Hard times came in the early 1890s when a drought hit, but by the time 1900 arrived the town had a respectable population.
The population fell during the early part of the century, but an oil discovery in 1918 reversed the dip. By 1926 the population was staying higher. A concrete highway connecting Iowa Park with Wichita Falls was built in 1927. In the mid-1930s Iowa Park managed to keep its population higher while most other towns declined.
Sheppard Air Force Base provided a minor drawback in the 1950s but by the end of the decade the population was still holding up. By the late 1960s the population had swelled by over 20 percent and increased further in the 70s.