Irwinville is an unincorporated community in Irwin County, Georgia, United States.
Irwinville was founded as Irwinsville in 1831 as seat for the newly formed Irwin County. The community was named for Georgia governor Jared Irwin. It was renamed to Irwinville (without the S) when it was incorporated as a town in 1857. In 1907, the seat of Irwin County was transferred from Irwinville to Ocilla.
Irwinville is well known for its role in the American Civil War as the site of the capture of Confederate President Jefferson Davis, who was fleeing Union troops. Today, the site of his capture is marked by a monument as well as a museum and park.
It was also a part of the Works Progress Administration projects in the 1930s. A small water park originally called Crystal Lake (later changed to Crystal Beach) operated just outside of there from the middle of the twentieth century to 1998.
Tobacco Barn in Irwinville
The only surviving hotel building in Irwinville is the one built by Dr. G.E. White in the mid 1800s. Little is known about this building but it once welcomed visitors from many places and had played host to the American Confederacy's first and only leader, Jefferson Davis.
There have been several banks in Irwinville. The original bank operated until sometime near the 1940s or 1950s. The building is not surviving although a newer bank once operated in Irwinville until the 2000s.
The Irwinville Farms Project brought a Health Department to Irwinville during the Great Depression era. It was considered to be very useful for the people of Irwinville who visited it. The building is still standing and is now used as a residence.
Irwinville had its own post office up until 2012, although it had operated without a postmaster since 2010. The post office was closed by the United States Postal Service due to the cost of keeping it open.