Jayton is a city in and the county seat of Kent County, Texas, United States. It is located in the northeastern portion of the county, and the population was 534 as of the 2010 Census.
The water tower and Kent County Court in Jayton, Texas.
|Motto: where pride makes a difference|
Location of Jayton, Texas
|Coordinates: 33°15′N 100°34′W|
Jayton's history begins in the 1880s. Originally known as Jay Flat, it was established two miles northeast of its present location and named after a local ranching family. A post office was granted in 1886, and Daniel Jay served as the community's first postmaster. In 1907 the townsite was moved to its present location for improved proximity to rail service, and it was officially renamed Jayton later that same year. The community's first newspaper, the Jayton Herald, was established the following year and the city incorporated in February, 1910. By 1925, Jayton was home to 750 residents.
From the community's inception, the local economy had originally been supported mainly by the cotton industry, but the effects of the Dust Bowl of the 1930s had a dire effect on production. The community's economy was stabilized by the discovery of oil later that same decade, and while its population never exceeded 750 Jayton remained stable throughout theGreat Depression. In 1954, following a lengthy and heated court battle, the city wrested the title of county seat from the declining nearby community ofClairemont and in 1957 a courthouse was constructed. Jayton's population remained at around 600 from the 1950s through the 1980 Census before declining to 513 in 1990 and 441 in 2000, but a resurgence in the local oil industry led to a rebound and the 2010 Census counted 534 residents.