Kendleton is a city in western Fort Bend County, Texas within theHouston–Sugar Land–Baytown metropolitan area. The population was 380 at the 2010 census. As of 2011 Darryl Humphrey is the mayor of the city.
Location of Kendleton, Texas
|Coordinates: 29°26′52″N 95°59′59″W|
What is now Kendleton was a part of William E. Kendall's plantation. In the 1860s Kendall divided his property into various small farms and sold the plots to African-Americans who were former slaves. The community of the farms became known as Kendleton. In 1882 the New York, Texas and Mexican Railway Company established a railroad track between Rosenbergand Victoria, which passed through Kendleton. In 1884 a post office opened. In 1890 Kendleton had 25 inhabitants and a general store. In 1896 the community also had two additional general stores and two churches; one was Baptist and one was Methodist. In 1900 116 people lived in Kendleton. In 1933 Kendleton had 36 residents. By the late 1940s Kendleton had about 100 residents. In the 1960s and 1970s the population fluctuated between 150 and 200 people. In 1973 voters approved the incorporation of Kendleton as a city. After incorporation the population increased to over 600. In 1990 Kendleton had 496 residents. In 2000 Kendleton had 466 residents. According to the Handbook of Texas, area residents estimated that about 2,200 people lived in Kendleton and surrounding areas.
Fort Bend County owns and operates the Bates M. Allen Park, located just outside the city limits of Kendleton. The 235-acre (0.95 km2) park includes a canoe ramp, a fishing pier, grills, a historical site, a lake, an observation deck, two pavilions, a play area, a sand volleyball court, tables, toilet facilities, walking trails and wetlands.
Marker explains the US Supreme Court case Terry v. Adams
Union Pacific railroad crossing at Loop 541 and FM 2919
Marker on Loop 541 gives the history of Kendleton
Loop 541 after the US 59 exit to the northeast of Kendleton